Monday, June 15, 2009

Lentils

Tired of sandwiches, I made myself an easy and relatively quick lunch today - lentil stew. It's summer-time, but I think we can still eat stew, as long as we let it cool enough. Lentils are an amazing food, and now that I'm trying to exercise more, I want to pay even more attention to eating very nutritious foods.

Here is a very simple recipe I made up this morning, and I think it tastes delicious. I couldn't get my little girl to eat it, but she was eating a muffin at the time, so there wasn't a lot of incentive for her.

Hearty Lentil Stew

1 cup presoaked lentils
2 cups vegetable broth
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, sliced
2 tbsp soy sauce
Salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for about 30 minutes. I'd say this makes 4 to 6 servings, depending on how much you eat.

I don’t like runny soup, so this makes more of a thick stew, and it thickens the more you let it simmer. I’ll eat it by itself, but I also think I’m going to try it over brown rice, which will also make it a complete protein.

UPDATE: Both kids ate it and loved it.

No comments: