Thursday, June 11, 2009

The New York Times has a health/wellness blog, and a few weeks ago, the blogger announced that she was going to start training for the New York Marathon. Now, I'm not particularly interested in running a marathon, but I recently started running again, and the blogger's intentions to go from couch potato to marathon runner sounded pretty interesting. I followed along sinc ethis happened to coincide with my return to running a few times a week.

A fews days ago, the blog debuted a customizable training blog to help readers train for the marathon, and that, I thought, was pretty cool. As I said, I don't want to run a marathon. Never say never, but for the moment, it seems like pure, and completely avoidable, torture. However, the idea of pushing myself a little bit more and following a rigorous training schedule created by pros is pretty appealing.

So I signed up and started logging my runs. I don't know if my particular "training page" is accessible to anyone else, but here it is, just in case. Yesterday I ran 4 miles, and it killed me, but now I've done it. That's the farthest I've run since college, so even though I was a puddle on the floor when I finished, I was pretty proud of myself. I almost got to 3 miles today, I didn't want to push it too much after yesterday.

I feel great. I always feel better when I'm able to go running. Even though it's summer time, I'm going pretty early in the morning, so I don't get terribly hot. I'm looking forward to eventually completing some of the longer runs, so this will be a neat challenge for me.

In other news, we have a handful of little green tomatoes growing in the backyard and I'm at the shoulders in my hemp top. More on those later.

No comments: