Monday, March 23, 2009

The garden

It's finally begun. After reading and reading, I finally decided to just jump in. We went to the garden center, bought some seeds, some plants, and some planting soil, dug up a space in the back yard, and here is what we have:

Brand new garden

It's not impressive by any means, and I'm not even sure anything will survive, but it's a start.

The selections are a bit random. That's kohlrabi in the foreground, and small tomato plants in the background. We planted some seeds, squash and some chives, in the middle. I don't have a lot of hope for those, but I can always put some small plants there if nothing happens over the next few weeks.

I've also got some basil in the front in a pot.

The whole process was a lot of fun. The entire family got involved, with the little ones wandering around digging in the dirt we turned up. I'll expand it eventually, but this will be a good, small start.

No comments: